Westsail 321: No gym membership required

Sunday, May 22, 2011

No gym membership required

This is our windlass. It's a manual windlass. That means that every morning, if we have anchored the night before and we wish to leave the anchorage, we have to move the windlass handle back and forth until we've winched up all the anchor chain we let out the night before. This can average about 260 feet for the deeper anchorages we've been encountering. This morning it took me 35 minutes to raise anchor. I am not proud of that time, but it was a calm morning and we could afford to be slow. It was also the first time I attempted to raise it all on my own. Matt is quicker, so if the wind is up he is the crew mate for the job. One of my goals this summer is to get buff by doing morning workouts at the windlass. It's a well rounded workout - it targets both my upper and lower body, as well as my core. And it can be aerobic as well. So stay tuned, I hope to be reporting faster times for my anchor raising in the near future!

4 comments:

Julia Pequlia said...

Endless windlass.

Westsail 321 said...

Quite endless!

Marv said...

Sorry we missed the opportunity to skype Sunday evening. Will make it a point to be available Monday 23 May at 7 PM -- if you are still around. We are fine and enjoying your journey vicariously. Love, Marvin/Margaret

Aaron said...

I feel your pain on this one! Deep anchorages equal a good workout!

About Me

My photo
Westsail 32, Hull #321
SV Wecantu