Westsail 321: 0° F?

Saturday, November 19, 2011

0° F?


This morning we woke up to an outside temperature of about 12 degrees F. That's ice on the port light in the v-berth where we sleep. Oddly enough we both woke up last night feeling much too warm. I think the down sleeping bags on top of the comforter were overkill.


Deciding that 12 degrees just wasn't cold enough we headed out to do our first ski tour of the season. The temps in the alpine were about 0 with a bit of wind chill to keep us on our toes. It was an absolutely beautiful day and we were both very happy to be out trundling about on our skis. We spotted some snowshoe hare tracks, and the trees were covered with rime.


From Douglas Island, looking across towards Juneau.


A view down on Stephens Passage, to the south west of Douglas Island.

Rime covered trees, looking like weird snow creatures milling around.

4 comments:

Julia Pequlia said...

Wow, just beautiful!

~b said...

Matt & Julia,

I just sat for a full minute trying to think of how to start this comment as "Are you guys nuts?!" didn't seem appropriate as an opening for friends! The scenery is absolutely stunning but I'm cold just looking at that port light! On the other hand, jealous of the skiing you guys are going to enjoy this season...not sure it gets much better than where you're at right now. Plans are still coming along and the count down clock on my desktop tells me that there are only 9 months, 8 days and a handful of hours to go before our "head south" window opens...so little time, so many to do lists! Stay warm!

~b

Aaron and Nicole said...

Hi Matt and Julia: Wow... you have ice on the portlights in Alaska, and I'm huddled under a blanket with a hot cup of coffee and it's 66 outside this morning in Mexico! I think I need to toughen up. :)

The picture of the snow creatures is fabulous. Hope all is well with you both. Stay toasty!
-Nicole
s/v Bella Star

Dan said...

I hope you guys get this. Looks like a white Christmas for you. I hope you have a good one. I hope next year is as great for you as this year was. Take good care of yourselves. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Dan

About Me

My photo
Westsail 32, Hull #321
SV Wecantu