Westsail 321: Good tidings in the Rockies

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Good tidings in the Rockies

After leaving Augusta we spent a few days in Banff National Park. We have been here before, but the scenery of the Canadian Rockies always amazes us.
We decided to spend a day in the mountains to receive their good tidings, as John Muir would say. A ranger recommended Cirque Peak so that's where we went. It felt good to be slogging up a mountain slope again.

A view south. The geology of the range is stunning.


We gained a great view of the Wapta Icefield where Matt and I did a spring ski tour several years ago. The lake was frozen then, enabling us to ski across it.


Soaking up the sunshine and fresh air.


This mooching marmot summited too, hoping to receive good handouts. We refused to give in to his charms. I suspect he enjoyed the tramp up the mountain as much as we did.

2 comments:

Julia Pequlia said...

Wow, it looks like fossil country! Any sightings?

It just occurred to me that I think most the photos I've seen of you involve snow. I can't imagine you in the warm part of the Pacific!

~b said...

Enjoy the sun while you can guys! I hear it gets just a tad cold in Alaska during the winter...then again, the skiing should be awesome. Take care and hopefully I'll see you next time around in Seattle.

About Me

My photo
Westsail 32, Hull #321
SV Wecantu