Westsail 321: Muskeg revisited

Monday, June 27, 2011

Muskeg revisited

My desire to see muskeg up close was fulfilled. The weather was nice so we rode the bus from Prince Rupert to a nearby park and took a short walk. To my delight the trail took us right to an opening of muskeg. The ground was very springy, and the plants were quite diverse.


Matt took a photo of me pontificating about the plants I was attempting to identify. An additional bonus of this outing was that it was warm enough to wear just a t-shirt. I haven't been this lightly dressed in ages. The 70 degree heat left me feeling a little wilted.



If you look close you'll see a plant that looks a bit like a venus fly trap. I believe that is a round-leaved sundew, which does eat insects. It was very small, no larger than the tip of my little finger. The small light pink flower looked like a shooting star (Dodecatheon) but amazingly tiny. I'm sure it's a related plant, but I was not able to identify exactly what it is.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Westsail 32, Hull #321
SV Wecantu